KHRT ND News – 09/11/21

KHRT NEWS – SATURDAY – 091121 – 0700
 
BISMARCK, N.D. (AP) – A resident of southwest North Dakota over the age of 60 has become the first person in the state to die of West Nile virus this year. The state health department announced the West Nile virus-related death on Friday. As of Thursday, there have been 19 cases of West Nile virus in 13 counties. Ten people have been hospitalized. Last year, North Dakota had seven reported cases of West Nile virus and no deaths. Most people infected with West Nile virus have no symptoms or mild symptoms. In more severe infections, the virus can cause high fever, severe headache, stiff neck, altered mental state or death.
——————————————————————————-
 
BISMARCK, N.D. (AP) – Gov. Doug Burgum says Joe Biden’s directive that large companies require COVID-19 vaccinations is overreach. The Republican governor has asked the GOP state attorney general to look at legal options to challenge it. Burgum says the mandate “steers our country down a dangerous path away from states’ rights and the freedom of private businesses to make their own decisions on vaccinations.” Attorney General Wayne Stenehjem says he met by teleconference with other GOP attorneys general Friday to look at legal options. The mandate requires that all employers with more than 100 workers require them to be vaccinated or test for the virus weekly.
——————————————————————————
 
BISMARCK, N.D. (AP) – A tiny section of North Dakota has been dropped from all drought categories, marking the first time since the beginning of the year that the entire state wasn’t in some stage of drought. The U.S. Drought Monitor shows the southeastern tip of Richland County is not considered to be in any of the five stages of drought. That’s an area equal to 0.2% of the state. The monitor puts nearly 59% of the state in extreme drought, which is down from 65% last week. About 3.8% is in exceptional drought, down from 5.6% last week.
——————————————————————————
 
BISMARCK, N.D. – The North Dakota Department of Environmental Quality (NDDEQ) was recently notified of a produced water spill at a pipeline operated by Tallgrass Energy in McKenzie County. The incident occurred about one mile northeast of Arnegard on Thursday and was reported the same day. Tallgrass Energy estimates the pipeline released approximately 1,100 barrels of produced water, which impacted a wheat field. The wheat field had been harvested at the time of the release. Personnel from the NDDEQ are inspecting the site and will continue to monitor the investigation and remediation.
——————————————————————————
 
BISMARCK, N.D. (AP) – Federal and state lawyers will meet next week to negotiate a settlement for money that North Dakota claims it spent policing protests against the Dakota Access oil pipeline. North Dakota filed a lawsuit two years ago seeking to recover more than $38 million in damages from the monthslong pipeline protests almost five years ago. The state argues the Corps of Engineers allowed and sometimes encouraged protesters to illegally camp without a federal permit. The Corps has said protesters weren’t evicted due to free speech reasons. The Corps has argued it has “limited authority” to enforce rules on land it manages.
——————————————————————————
 
BISMARCK, N.D. – The North Dakota National Guard will conduct an observance ceremony today at the Memorial to the Fallen in the Global War on Terrorism (GWOT), near the entrance to Fraine Barracks in Bismarck. The ceremony begins at 10 a.m. and is a solemn observance of the 20th anniversary of the terrorist attacks on the United States on September 11, 2001. The public and media are invited. The local streets will be closed from 8 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and parking is available at the Bank of North Dakota, 1200 Memorial Highway, Bismarck.
 
Due to limited seating, attendees are encouraged to bring lawn chairs. COVID-19 precautions to include masks and social distancing are recommended in accordance with the North Dakota Department of Health guidelines.
 
Governor Doug Burgum, commander-in-chief of the North Dakota National Guard, U.S. Senator John Hoeven, U.S. Senator Kevin Cramer, Maj. Gen. Al Dohrmann, N.D. National Guard adjutant general, and Command Sgt. Maj. Eric Binstock, senior enlisted leader for the N.D. National Guard are scheduled to render remarks. The emcee for the observance ceremony will be Mrs. Connie Sprynczynatyk. The observance will be livestreamed at the North Dakota National Guard homepage.
 
Dedicated on Sept. 11, 2009, the Memorial to the Fallen in the Global War on Terrorism honors North Dakota military members who lost their lives in the GWOT. The memorial commemorates the sacrifice of 29 service members, 14 of whom are North Dakota National Guard Soldiers. It was established to provide a place where families, friends, and fellow citizens could reflect and remember the service and sacrifice of the fallen. The memorial is a joint venture between the city of Bismarck and the North Dakota National Guard and was funded through private donations.
——————————————————————————-
 
BISMARCK, N.D. – Gov. Doug Burgum has directed all government agencies to fly the United States and North Dakota flags at half-staff today, and encourages North Dakota residents to do the same at their homes and businesses, in remembrance of those who perished 20 years ago in the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. The governor’s directive is in accordance with a proclamation from President Joe Biden, as well as a joint resolution of Congress designating Sept. 11 of each year as Patriot Day and federal law requesting the observance of Sept. 11 as a National Day of Service and Remembrance. Americans are encouraged to observe a moment of silence at 7:46 a.m. Central Daylight Time to honor the nearly 3,000 victims of the attacks.
 
(Copyright 2021 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
 

Leave a Reply