KHRT ND News – 08/27/21

KHRT NEWS – FRIDAY – 082721 – 1200
 
JAMESTOWN, ND – A Jamestown man has died in a single vehicle rollover. The North Dakota Highway Patrol reports the accident happened around 10 pm on Thursday about one mile north of Mooreton, which is west of Wahpeton in Richland County. Troopers say a 54-year old man from Jamestown was unable to negotiate a curve when his pickup left the road, struck a field approach, and vaulted and rolled. The driver was pronounced dead at the scene. Troopers say the crash remains under investigation.
——————————————————————————-
 
LISBON, ND – A 61-year old woman from Lisbon was seriously injured when she was struck by a pickup while walking on the road. The North Dakota Highway Patrol says the accident happened around 9:50 PM on Thursday south of Lisbon. Troopers say the driver did brake and swerved, but still struck the woman. She was eventually flow to a Fargo hospital. The crash remains under investigation.
——————————————————————————
 
MINOT, ND – Fire caused damage to a home in northwest Minot on Thursday evening, including heavy damage to the attached garage. Minot Fire Department crews were called to 425 15th St. NW at 8:25 p.m. for fire coming from an attached garage. The first crews on scene found heavy fire coming from the garage. One crew extinguished the fire from the outside while another crew made entrance into the home and conducted a search. One family member was home at the time of the fire and evacuated safely before crews arrived. There were no injuries reported. The home suffered smoke damage and heavy fire damage to the garage. The fire remains under investigation.
——————————————————————————
 
BISMARCK, N.D. (AP) – State health officials say human cases of the mosquito-borne West Nile virus are on the rise in North Dakota, with the severity of symptoms resulting in some hospitalizations. So far, five people have confirmed cases, with four in the hospital, as well as two of six people with pending cases. The confirmed cases are in Cass, Mercer, Sargent and Stutsman counties. Three of the five confirmed cases in people this year have affected the nervous system. The number of West Nile cases in North Dakota varies year by year with seven confirmed human cases last year and nine in 2019, but in 2018 there were 204.
——————————————————————————-
 
BISMARCK, ND – Active cases of COVID-19 are up by 37 today to 2,043. The North Dakota Department of Health reports another 289 positives and a daily positive rate of 6.15%. Hospitalizations remain at 62 today, with 10 of those in ICU.
 
The Health Department also announced Thursday that has begun reporting breakthrough infections on its COVID-19 dashboard daily. Those are COVID-19 positive cases among people who are fully vaccinated. Health officials say a total of 1,394 breakthrough cases have occurred and 105 breakthrough hospitalizations. A total of 19 breakthrough deaths have occurred.
——————————————————————————
 
BISMARCK, N.D. – Gov. Doug Burgum has directed all government agencies to fly the United States and North Dakota flags at half-staff until sunset Monday, Aug. 30, and encourages North Dakotans to do the same at their homes and businesses, in honor and remembrance of the U.S. servicemembers and other victims killed in the terrorist attack on Thursday, Aug. 26, in Kabul, Afghanistan. The governor’s directive is in accordance with a proclamation issued by President Joe Biden.
 
Burgum released the following statement Thursday regarding the attack. “Our hearts and prayers go out to the families of the brave U.S. servicemembers and the Afghans who were killed or injured in today’s deadly attacks at the airport in Kabul,” Burgum said. “Our military forces have served in Afghanistan with honor and courage and continue to do so as they work to evacuate U.S. citizens and American allies from this chaotic situation. The Biden administration needs to demonstrate leadership and do more to bring U.S. citizens home quickly and help those Afghans who have been our allies in the war on terror.”
 
(Copyright 2021 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
 
——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————-
 
KHRT NEWS – FRIDAY – 082721 – 0700
 
BISMARCK, N.D. (AP) – A panel of North Dakota lawmakers on Thursday agreed to use the current number of legislators and the districts they represent as a template for redrawing new political boundaries. The redistricting committee, which has 14 Republicans and two Democrats, began the arduous task of redistricting that when finalized later this year likely will show urban areas of the state gaining political strength in the Legislature, and rural parts losing clout due to population shifts in the past decade. The panel is expected to complete its work by November, after several work sessions. No drafts of proposed legislative districts were offered at the initial meeting.
North Dakota now has 47 legislative districts, with each represented by two House members and a senator. The Legislature has 141 lawmakers – 47 senators and 94 House members. The North Dakota Constitution says the Legislature may have as few as 40 districts or as many as 54.
 
Legislative redistricting happens every 10 years after a federal census. It aims to ensure each lawmaker represents about the same number of people. North Dakota’s population is estimated at a record 779, 000, up almost 16% during the last decade, but most of the state’s rural legislative districts continued losing residents, according to U.S. Census data. That means more real estate would be needed to reach the increased population numbers in the rural districts. But when rural legislative districts grow, the chances increase that a new district map will put incumbent lawmakers in the same region, which forces them to oppose each other if they want to stay in the Legislature.
 
Areas in and around Fargo, Bismarck, Minot and Grand Forks already account for nearly half of the Legislature’s members. Fargo and Bismarck are assured of adding more districts with new population estimates. None of the five American Indian reservations in the state would be divided into separate Legislative districts.
 
The panel’s next meeting is Sept. 8 in Fargo, followed by six others in Bismarck in the following weeks. The Legislature would finish the redistricting job during a special or reconvened session this fall. The full Legislature has to approve the plan, and the governor must sign off on it. The redistricting plan would be reflected in the June 2022 primary.
——————————————————————————-
 
BISMARCK, N.D. – Gov. Doug Burgum and Agriculture Commissioner Doug Goehring announced Thursday that the North Dakota Emergency Commission has approved $2.5 million to reactivate the Emergency Feed Transportation Assistance Program to help reimburse a portion of hay transportation expenses for eligible livestock producers who have lost feed supplies due to drought.
 
Burgum, who chairs the Emergency Commission, called today’s special meeting to address Goehring’s request for the program made earlier this week. The Emergency Commission consists of Burgum as chair, Secretary of State Al Jaeger, Senate Majority Leader Rich Wardner, House Majority Leader Chet Pollert, Senate Appropriations Committee Chairman Ray Holmberg and House Appropriations Committee Chairman Jeff Delzer. The Commission voted 5-0 to approve the program, with Delzer absent.
 
“The widespread nature of this devastating drought is forcing North Dakota ranchers to go hundreds of miles to find hay to keep their cattle fed and maintain their herds, adding extra costs to their operations at an incredibly challenging time,” Burgum said. “The emergency assistance approved today will provide real relief by lowering the cost barrier between strained livestock producers and faraway hay stocks. We are grateful for the Emergency Commission’s support and remain committed to using all appropriate resources to help the farmers and ranchers who form the foundation of our communities and economy.”
 
“The drought has created unprecedented impacts to forage production. Hay shortages have forced producers to purchase and transport hay from increasingly further distances,” Goehring said. “This program will assist producers with defraying some of those costs to help maintain the genetics of their herd and sustain their operation into the next year. As agriculture is the leading industry in the state’s economy, it is vital to the future of our state to provide assistance to these producers.”
 
The weekly U.S. Drought Monitor map released Thursday shows all of North Dakota is in some stage of drought, with 13% in exceptional drought, 60% in extreme drought, 26% percent in severe drought and less than 1% in moderate drought. Burgum declared a statewide drought disaster on April 8, and drought conditions have continued to deteriorate since then. Rainfall last week resulted in only slight improvement in this week’s drought report.
 
The $2.5 million emergency grant program will be limited to livestock owners who have verifiable feed losses due to drought conditions and must purchase and transport supplemental feed between April 8 and Nov. 30, 2021. Assistance will be provided for a portion of feed transportation costs, which will be reviewed and approved based on standard trucking rates. Producers must provide verifiable records of livestock inventories and hay transportation expenses.
 
Funding for the program is provided through the North Dakota Department of Agriculture, which will borrow the $2.5 million from the Bank of North Dakota. A similar request was approved in 2019 for $250,000 for the Emergency Feed Transportation Assistance Program.
Producers seeking more information about the program may email haytransportnd.gov or call 1-844-642-4752. Applications will be available on the Department of Agriculture’s website at www.nd.gov/ndda in mid-September and will close Dec. 15, 2021.
——————————————————————————
 
BISMARCK, N.D. – Gov. Doug Burgum released the following statement Thursday after the terrorist attacks at the Kabul airport in Afghanistan in which 12 U.S. servicemembers were killed and 15 were injured, according to the Pentagon.
 
“Our hearts and prayers go out to the families of the brave U.S. servicemembers and the Afghans who were killed or injured in today’s deadly attacks at the airport in Kabul,” Burgum said. “Our military forces have served in Afghanistan with honor and courage and continue to do so as they work to evacuate U.S. citizens and American allies from this chaotic situation. The Biden administration needs to demonstrate leadership and do more to bring U.S. citizens home quickly and help those Afghans who have been our allies in the war on terror.”
 
 
(Copyright 2021 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
 

Leave a Reply